- Chickpeas : 1/2 kg
- Potatoes : 1/2 kg
- Onions : 2, chopped
- Fresh Mint : half bunch
- Green Chilies : 2
- Tomatoes : 2
- Cumin Seed : 2 teaspoon
- Whole Red Chilies : 6
- Caraway Seed : 1 teaspoon
- Raw Cane Sugar : 1 tablespoon
- National Red Chili Powder : 1 teaspoon
- National Salt : 1/2 teaspoon
- Tamarind : 100 grams
- Baking Soda : 1/2 teaspoon
- National Sabzi Masala packet : (50 grams)
- National Chat Masala : as required
Take overnight soaked chickpeas.
Boil the chickpeas with baking soda until tender.
Add National Sabzi Masala and mash everything up roughly.
Cube the potatoes, stir into the chickpea mash and cook covered on low heat until tender.
Turn the heat off.
Toast cumin seed, caraway seed and whole red chilies in a dry pan and when cool, grind to a powder.
Soak the tamarind in 2 cups of water.
Squeeze and discard the seeds and cook the pulp to a thick sauce with salt, red chili powder and cane sugar.
Mix the sauce into the chickpeas and potatoes.
Sprinkle toasted powdered masala on top. Garnish with tomatoes, onions, green chilies and mint and finish with a hearty dusting of chat masala.